Saturday, November 22, 2014

Upcoming Trip

I was standing in our living room.  We were talking about work for next summer, still far in the future, but yet a topic that seemed to keep coming up.  “I don’t know where I’m going to work yet…”  Than a thought popped into my head, and I said, “Maybe I’ll just go somewhere overseas this summer to learn Spanish, and do some student teaching.”  I was surprised to hear myself saying that.  I had no desire to even think of leaving home.  Home for me is the best place on earth.   But even more surprising was the answer I received from Mom. “Yes, that’s a possibility.”  

I actually liked the idea more and more as I thought about it. I started praying that God would open up some possibilities for me.  I have a friend who is from Panama, and I mentioned to her that I was interested in going somewhere to learn Spanish and to possibly teach.  She mentioned several places, but they didn’t seem to fit quite right with me.  I continued to pray about it, leaving it completely in God’s hands.   

The next week at school, my friend came up to me and pulled me aside.  She said, “This might be kind of sudden, but we are going home to Panama for Christmas.  Do you want to come with us?”  She said it so directly, I was completely shocked and speechless.   I had not expected anything like that to happen.  I told her I would talk to Mom and Dad, and I would get back to her. They were leaving in four weeks, so she needed to know by the end of that week. 

And so, after many prayers and discussion, I am finally booked to fly with Sandra and Danielle Acosta to Panama!  I will be leaving December 10 and coming back January 6.  I am so excited about this trip! I really believe that God opened the doors for me to go, and I can’t wait to see how He will use me in the next month. 

From what I know right now, I will be helping their family on their farm, doing some cooking schools, and helping out with church programs and projects.  And, the whole time I’m there, I will be learning Spanish!  Please continue to keep me in your prayers, as I finish up school here and prepare to leave. 

No comments: