Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Semester Highlights

How this school year has just flown by! I can't believe that we are already halfway through the semester! It's been a good semester so far, challenging definitely, but one that I wouldn't trade for anything.

I have been doing some online classes this semester, which I have found to be fun yet challenging. Doing online classes, I have to be so much more disciplined with my time. I have learned more this semester about planning out my schedule in order to stay on top of things. However, I found that I also prefer being in a classroom as well. So it's been good figuring out what type of learning skills work the best for me.

The Lord has also been teaching me lessons of patience and trust. A friend and I have been training for a fitness challenge in December. One day, we went running on the beach barefoot--and that was probably the worst thing I could have done! We ran three miles, and by the end, my foot was hurting so bad that for the next couple of days, I was limping around. I thought originally that I had just pulled a muscle or tendon; however, two weeks later it still hurt. The most recent conclusion I've come to is that it is probably tendonitis.

It's been so disappointing for me, because I haven't been able to go running. I can still do strength training, but I love running! Yet, I realize that there is some lesson that God is wanting to teach me through this. It's learning to trust God that He knows what is best for me, and be patient! Maybe it will be a long while before I can run again--I don't know. And there is always the possibility I won't be able to participate in the running part of the fitness challenge.  But I'm willing to wait if that is what God wants for me. My plans may not be His plans, but definitely His plans are better than my plans!

"Surrender all your plans to God, to be carried out or given up, as his providence shall indicate. In this manner you may, day by day, be giving your life with its plans and purposes into the hands of God, accepting his plans instead of your own, no matter how much they may interfere with your arrangements nor how many pleasant projects may have to be abandoned. Thus the life will be moulded more and more after the divine Model..." (ST August 7, 1884).

One highlight of mine this semester was R&R weekend. We were able to go to Monterey Bay Academy for the weekend. Even for October, it turned out to be beautiful weather.


Ready for some rest & relaxation

Each morning and evening we had worships. They were a blessing.

The ocean--probably my most favorite part of the trip.
A place where you see so many object lessons, and spend time with friends.

We had some time on one of the days to play some group games. One of those included tug-a-war.

"He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us;
 he will subdue our  iniquities;
and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea." (Micah 7:19)

The evenings and the mornings I think were the best time of the day to go to  the beach.
I loved sitting out on the sand  in the mornings and watching the sunrise,
and reading my Bible....the evenings were beautiful because each night,
the sunset was completely different.
Friday night was the most beautiful sunset I think I have ever seen. 
Two of my friends and I were running down to the beach a little before in order to see the sun set.
 All we could do was just stand there and watch. It was most glorious, and reminded me that 
the sunset was "a picture painted by the great Master-Artist upon the 
shifting canvass of the heavens" (ML 337.2).  It was the best way to welcome the Sabbath! 

Just like the sunset reflected back on the water, let us each let Christ reflect His character  in us!

There was definitely some time for fun too! :) 
I think it was the best R&R so far. Not only were we refreshed physically and mentally
from the daily routines of life, but we were also refreshed spiritually by being able
to spend more time in God's Word and learn lessons from nature.


Not only was R&R a refreshing experience, however, but even the earth itself has been refreshed!. We have been having some pretty good rain showers, and to top it off, the fall leaves have been turning beautiful colors!





Until next time! :) 

No comments: