Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Children's Health Expo

On Sunday, Rahel and I traveled to Vallejo with the Weimar elementary school teacher, Rebecca, and Esther, a student teacher, to help with a children's health expo.  There was the general health fair held by the Vallejo SDA church, and then for the children they asked Rebecca to put on a children's health expo.  I have never helped with an expo specifically made for children, so it was a new experience.

It was such a blessing!  Here are some pictures I took--the lighting was really bad, but hopefully you can get an idea of what it was like. :)

This was the main area for the adults.  They had cooking demos and lectures...

...And the regular expo. Another group from Weimar headed up the massage area.

And here is where we were.  The kid's expo uses the NEWSTART acronym, but in just a condensed version

Working on the nutrition craft.  This is where I spent most of my time.  The kids would get a little passport to health, and each time they finished a station, they would get a stamp in their passport.  I would also tell them why it is important to eat fruits and vegetables.

Esther :)

Rahel teaching about exercise, and how to check your pulse :)

Helping at the Nutrition station


Rebecca teaching them the importance of drinking water

This picture turned out blurry, but this gives an idea of the exercise booth. The kids enjoyed it!

It was such a blessing to help out with this--definitely a new experience, yet so fulfilling!  I got to help at the Trust in God booth, where I got to pray with a couple of children--something I won't forget.  It is so touching to see how you can reach out to even children! I hope to have another opportunity to do this again!


No comments: