Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Trip to Willits

This last weekend I had the opportunity to travel with a group from the college to go to Willits, CA. It is a small country town, with a church that is on fire to spread the good news of the gospel. We were invited by them to come and train them and help them put on a health expo in their town. 

We left in two groups. My group left earlier in the morning (there were 4 of us) and we got to Willits in time to help the church members finish passing out fliers in the community to let them know about the health expo. They had about 1500 fliers to pass out, and praise God, we were able to get every one of them out! I was amazed at the openness of the people of this town--they were very open to what we had to share with them, and we got the affirmative from a few of them that they were already planning on coming! 

Friday evening, and Sabbath we had lectures on health for the church members. Various students and staff gave the lectures. The topics included learning the NEWSTART principles, and the importance of eating a healthy diet. The church members were open and eager to learn. It was a blessing! 



Shimpei gave the opening lecture that talked about the NEWSTART principles.

Dr. Grilo gave lectures for Sabbath School and church.

Katie talked about music, and the effect of music on the brain.


Kylin, Xianhua, me, and Rebecca. Our job was helping with song services before the meetings.
Sabbath evening after sundown we went and set up for the health expo.

Setting up expo banners.

As well as a regular expo, we had a kid's expo, which included a bouncy house. I worked with the kids expo and using the bouncy house I was able to show the importance of exercise. I think I had just as much fun in there as the kids! :)

On the street corner inviting people in! 

Blood glucose station


Church members were excited to learn how to run the expo. This church member runs the welcome station.

Kid's expo! :) The best part

Overall, I believe we had over 50 people come through the expo. Serving others through health evangelism has always been such a blessing. This weekend I realized how thankful I was that I ended up taking A&P, even though I don't need it as a class. I have already been able to use the information I've learned to help others understand important health principles. 


"Medical missionary work is the right hand of the gospel. It is necessary to the advancement of the cause of God. As through it men and women are led to see the importance of right habits of living, the saving power of the truth will be made known. Every city is to be entered by workers trained to do medical missionary work. As the right hand of the third angel's message, God's methods of treating disease will open the doors for the entrance of present truth."--CME 8.4



No comments: